Friday, November 16, 2012

Life Journal 11-16-2012

Unveiled

(S) Scripture
15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts.16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

(O) Observation
Paul draws a distinction between those who follow Moses and those who follow the Lord. Those who follow Moses have a veil covering their faces and they cannot see God clearly. They miss the freedom that Christ brings because they are tied to the Law. Those who follow Christ see clearly and are then transformed into the image of Christ. With that transformation comes freedom; freedom to be all that God created you to be.

(A) Application
As a pastor I have been part of many weddings. One of my favorite moments is when the bride's veil is removed and the groom sees her clearly. The smile and joy of the moment just come. IT is that same joy we should feel when the veil is removed and we see Christ as He is. There is a freedom that comes when the veil is removed and we are then able to live life freely following Jesus without the obstacle of the veil blocking our view. Today I want to live free and be transformed into Christ's image. I want the people I interact with to sense the presence of Christ. Today I want to bear a strong family resemblance to Jesus. I want to constantly live with an unveiled face and a clear relationship with God.

(P) Prayer
Good and gracious God thank you for your Son's life, death and resurrection so that by faith in Him I might follow you clearly. Thank you removing the veil in my life and setting me free to be the person you created me to be. Keep me from abusing that freedom and let me walk close to you each day. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm struck by two things in this passage. First, that transformation comes as a daily process within our lives; it doesn't happen in an instant. It's when we engage the glory of God that the glory of God is mirrored in our own lives, enabling us to fully reflect his image. Second, I'm struck by the phrase, the "ever increasing glory" in this verse could refer to our glory or God's glory. However, it appears that it refers to our glory. Thus, this is a powerful word of hope that the glory of humanity made evident at the outset of creation is growing to the point that we are growing into the glory of God. Pastor, that is some kind of process, wouldn't you agree? What hope! What reason to celebrate! May our veils be ripped from our faces so that we settle not for the glory of creation, but the glory of God. "Bud"