Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Life Journal 11-14-2012

By the grace of God

(S) Scripture
1 Corinthians 15:10a (NASB77)
10  But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain...

(O) Observation
Paul understood that it was God's grace that had transformed him into the man he had become. He did not feel worthy but was aware that it was God at work. Paul had a past that was in opposition to what God was doing. From that past he was being transformed. He was not yet all he would be but by God's grace he was not the man he used to be.

(A) Application
There are many life situations that shape us into the people we become. The families we are raised in have a profound influence on our lives. I am so thankful for my family, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins that are deeply committed Christians and encouraged me in my faith. The churches I have been part of have taught me much about following Jesus. The West Virginia Baptist Camp is where I first sensed God's call in my life. My college friends and the ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ had a great impact on my life. To these I would add death of my father and the witness that would be to so many. Today is the anniversary of the plane wreck that killed the Marshall University football team in 1970, that was a life shaping event.

My life as a son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, pastor and friend continues to be shaped by God's grace. With Paul I can say that I am what I am by the grace of God. As the saying goes, "I am not all I ought to be, I am not what I'm going to be but thank God I am not what I used to be. Today I will trust God's hand as he forms my by His grace.

(P) Prayer
Father, let me live the life you have made me for. Let me follow you and you alone. Continue to use your grace to transform me. Amen

No comments: