Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Life Journal 11-20-2012

Yes and No

(S) Scripture
Matthew 5:37 (NASB77)
37  "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; and anything beyond these is of evil.    

(O) Observation
Jesus recognized that the people were putting so many qualifiers into their agreements that it would not produce good results. People used these conditions and qualifiers to wiggle and squirm out of doing what they said. They also used to swear by something to show they really meant what they were saying. Jesus says this is unnecessary fro righteous people. Just say "yes" or "no" and then do what you said.

(A) Application
Too often I find myself putting these kinds of qualifiers in my statements and I am reminded that those qualifiers are from the evil one. Today I simply want to say "yes" or "no" and mean what I say and follow through. I want to be known as a man of my word.

(P) Prayer
Lord don't let me off the hook of using qualifiers. Help me to say "yes" and "no" and meant it and carry it through. Let me be a man of my word. Amen

No comments: