Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Life Journal 11-28-1012

Who is Your Target Group

(S) Scripture
Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV)
18  Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

(O) Observation
This is Jesus' charge to his followers. As we are going we are to be making disciples. It is a continual process that should be as natural to us and as constant as breathing. The command is to go into all the world or "'til the whole world knows"

(A) Application
I have been to many church growth seminars that encourage you to identify a "target" group and then fashion all you do to reach that target. That sounds reasonable until you put it against what Jesus said. My friend, Roger Adams, who has planted two churches in WV, just bristled every time he heard that advice. We don't need to identify a target group, God has already done the targeting. The target is everyone because the message of Christ is for "whoever calls on the name of the Lord" (Romans 10:13).

I am also reminded that this Great Commission must be undergirded by the Great Commandment to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. As we seek to make disciples we cannot neglect the Great Criteria of "unto the least of these brothers of mine" that Jesus has called us to serve and reach for His sake.

I suppose for me today it is a reminder that every person I see today is one that needs to be discipled. My target group must be the people God brings across my path and not some artificial criteria that I set up.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me see the people around me today with your eyes and your heart. Break down any artificial criteria I have set up and let me be truly committed to the Great Commission as you gave it. Amen

No comments: