Thursday, April 2, 2009

Life Journal 04-02-2009

Compromise

(S) Scripture
So Delilah said to Samson, "Please tell me where your great strength is and how you may be bound to afflict you."
And Samson said to her, "If they bind me with seven fresh cords that have not been dried, then I shall become weak and be like any other man."
Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven fresh cords that had not been dried, and she bound him with them.
Now she had men lying in wait in an inner room. And she said to him, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" But he snapped the cords as a string of tow snaps when it touches fire. So his strength was not discovered.
Then Delilah said to Samson, "Behold, you have deceived me and told me lies; now please tell me, how you may be bound."
And he said to her, "If they bind me tightly with new ropes which have not been used, then I shall become weak and be like any other man."
So Delilah took new ropes and bound him with them and said to him, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" For the men were lying in wait in the inner room. But he snapped the ropes from his arms like a thread.
Then Delilah said to Samson, "Up to now you have deceived me and told me lies; tell me how you may be bound." And he said to her, "If you weave the seven locks of my hair with the web [and fasten it with a pin, then I shall become weak and be like any other man."
So while he slept, Delilah took the seven locks of his hair and wove them into the web]. And she fastened it with the pin, and said to him, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" But he awoke from his sleep and pulled out the pin of the loom and the web.
Then she said to him, "How can you say, 'I love you,' when your heart is not with me? You have deceived me these three times and have not told me where your great strength is."
And it came about when she pressed him daily with her words and urged him, that his soul was annoyed to death.
So he told her all that was in his heart and said to her, "A razor has never come on my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother's womb. If I am shaved, then my strength will leave me and I shall become weak and be like any other man."
When Delilah saw that he had told her all that was in his heart, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines, saying, "Come up once more, for he has told me all that is in his heart." Then the lords of the Philistines came up to her, and brought the money in their hands.
And she made him sleep on her knees, and called for a man and had him shave off the seven locks of his hair. Then she began to afflict him, and his strength left him.
And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" And he awoke from his sleep and said, "I will go out as at other times and shake myself free." But he did not know that the LORD had departed from him.
Judges 16:6-20 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
This is a lengthy but familiar passage, the story of Samson and Delilah. It is a story of compromise that led to defeat. Samson was a Nazirite which meant that he could not have strong drink, eat unclean meat, touch a dead body or cut his hair. The compromise of his Nazirite vow started with little things, he took honey from the dead lion, and then moved on to more critical things, his hair. I do not think that Samson thought he was violating his vow and yet little by little he did and when Delilah cut his hair his strength was gone. Notice the tragedy of verse 20, "And he awoke from his sleep and said, "I will go out as at other times and shake myself free." But he did not know that the LORD had departed from him." His compromise led to his defeat.

(A) Application
When I make compromises in my faith walk it generally begins with little things. They seem so insignificant and yet they lead to other more critical compromises that can lead to spiritual defeat. I believe it was Billy Graham who said that most Christians live in spiritual defeat. This does not mean that they have lost their salvation but it does mean that they live defeated lives that are unproductive in God's kingdom. This defeat comes to us when we live compromised lives. Although the Lord left Samson on this side of the cross we know that the Holy Spirit takes permanent residence in our lives and therefore does not leave us. We can take control of our lives away from Him and that is when we live in defeat. Today I want to avoid anything that might compromise my walk with the Lord. I want to live a Spirit filled life. I want to experience God's power in my life, I do not want to live a defeated life.

(P) Prayer
Father, it is easy to make compromises or excuses for not following you completely and they lead to spiritual defeat. Make me keenly aware when I am about to compromise my faith and let me follow You today. Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued when I compare the temptation of Samson to the temptation of Jesus. Both were "heroes" of their ancient traditions. Both were called by God to confront evil. Both were used to build kingdoms. However, the manner in which they faced temptation is where the parallel ends. Samson forgot who he was; he forsook his identity. Jesus remembered who he was; he affirmed his identity. Remembering who we are and whose we are is critical to confronting the culprit of compromise. Agree???? Your Bud

Robin Crouch said...

Well said, Brother

Anonymous said...

Ah....but what if your bud is a sister???? :)