Friday, April 17, 2009

Life Journal 04-17-2009

Follow Me

(S) Scripture
And He * said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Jesus has just come through being tempted in the wilderness and is now gathering his disciples. It is a simple call, "Follow Me" and yet has such great impact on their lives. Their response was to leave immediately and follow. They left their family, jobs and what was familiar to follow Jesus.

(A) Application
Jesus' call is still the same simple, "Follow Me". It still compels people to respond. The call is to follow Jesus and to be made into what He desires. I become what Jesus designs for me not necessarily what I think or dream. His design is always better. The problem is that way too often I choose to follow other things and I get side-tracked or distracted from the most important. I am reminded of Paul's admonition to the Corinthian church when he wrote, "For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin. But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:2-3 (NASB77).

The simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. That is what I desire in my life. It is how I want to be remembered by others. Today I commit myself again to following Jesus and allowing Him to make me into whatever He chooses.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know how easily I am distracted from the simplicity and purity of following Jesus. I ask your forgiveness and for your strength to follow consistently. Let me experience the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. Amen

No comments: