Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Life Journal 04-28-2009

Empty Words

(S) Scripture
"'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
Matthew 15:8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is answering the Pharisee's question about what makes a person clean or unclean. He challenges their legalism and their own hypocrisy in this area. He says that it is not what goes into a person but what comes out of their mouth that makes them unclean. He then makes this indictment against them. "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." Empty words of praise that are not accompanied by a faithful heart.

(A) Application
I want my words to praise and honor God but I also want my heart to be completely His. Words are easy to repeat and many do just that in their spiritual lives. People know all the right things to say and yet their hearts are far from God. How empty is that life? The hypocrisy of that life fools no one but the one living it. Others see right through the façade of spirituality to the reality of a life far from God. Today I want my mouth to reflect my heart and for my heart to be completely God's. Many years ago I was challenged to choose one verse from the Bible that would be my "life verse" and I chose 2 Chronicles 16:9. "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His. You have acted foolishly in this. Indeed, from now on you will surely have wars."
That is what I want today.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me live out my life verse today. Give me grace to do what needs to be done today and let my words and heart honor you. Amen

No comments: