Sunday, April 5, 2009

Life Journal 04-05-2009

Secure

(S) Scripture
The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God," They are corrupt, and have committed abominable injustice; There is no one who does good.
Psalm 53:1 (NASB77)

For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven;
2 Corinthians 5:1-2 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
David and Paul give the two sides of the security issue. The "fool" has no security and the believer is sure of a "house not made with hands eternal in the heavens." Our security as believers comes from our faith in Christ and his death and resurrection on our behalf.

(A) Application
I don't usually pass on emails that I get but I received this one this morning and thought it was appropriate to use here:
    If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!  
 A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and member of the ACLU.  One day the professor shocked the class when he came in he looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, 'God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes.' The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.  Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, 'Here I am God. I'm still waiting.' It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him, knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.  The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked, stunned, and sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, 'What the heck is the matter with you? Why did you do that?' The Marine calmly replied, 'God was busy today protecting American soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So, He sent me.

On this Palm Sunday I am encouraged by Paul's writing to the Corinthians. I know that if and when I die I have a home in heaven with the Lord. I know that in this life I have troubles and illnesses and I long to be clothed in that heavenly dwelling. That does not mean I want to die today. I feel somewhat like Paul when he said he was torn between going to be with the Lord and staying and continuing his ministry. He knew that it was better for him to remain and teach and lead the church and I think that it true for me also. There is much to be done here in Charlotte that we have not yet accomplished and I do want to be part of it. Today I will shout Hosanna with the rest of the world and look forward to whatever the Lord has for me to do. There are plenty of "fools" that I still need to speak to about the Lord.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for the encouragement of your word. Use me today to share your good news with those who have not yet responded. Amen

 

No comments: