Friday, April 3, 2009

Life Journal 04-03-2009

Confidence

(S) Scripture
Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God,
who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter, but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
2 Corinthians 3:5-6 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul is reminding the Corinthians where his confidence and adequacy comes from. His confidence comes from the New Covenant that is based on the Spirit that gives life not the Law that brings death.

(A) Application
There is a fine line between confidence and conceit. Romans 12:3 gives us the proper balance, "For through the grace given to me I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." There is a great difference between self-confidence and God-confidence. Paul's confidence came from the Holy Spirit. That is the confidence I want in my life and ministry. I want to live in the Spirit that brings life rather than to focus on the letter of the law that kills. I do not want to be arrogant or conceited but I do want to think highly of the gifts God has given me and the work He has called me to do. I want to exercise that confidence with humility and grace. That can only happen when I am confident not in myself but in the God Who has called me.

(P) Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for saving me and for never giving up on me. Thank You for the gifts you have given me for use in your kingdom and in my life. Let be be confident in only You and reminded that without you I can do nothing. Amen

No comments: