Sunday, November 9, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 29

The Desire To Be Great

For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Matthew 23:12 (NIV)

What does it mean to be humble? What is humility?

When I think of humility I am reminded of what Paul wrote to the Romans. For through the grace given to me I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. Romans 12:3 (NASB77). I am not to think more highly of myself than I ought but I am to use sound judgment.

That teaches me to see myself as God sees me; with all my strengths and weaknesses. Humility is not thinking I am nothing or that I have nothing to share or give or use but rather it is to recognize the gifts and abilities I have and to use them to glorify God. I recognize my strengths and use them in service to God. I exalt God not myself. In my weaknesses I trust God to use them with his power not mine.

The flip side of not thinking more highly of myself than I ought is thinking very high of who God has made me and what he has given me to use for His glory. This is a daily practice to lift up Christ and not myself. I choose to humbly serve God and not my selfish interests.

This is not an easy task when all around me the culture tells me to promote myself, to get what is mine, to seize whatever power I can. To be faithful to my call as a follower of Jesus I must daily exalt Christ and live humbly before my God.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: