Sunday, November 16, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 36

The Big Question

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12 (NIV)

The Golden Rule is maybe the most simple and yet profound of Jesus' teachings. In this one phrase he has given the key that changes our lives and relationships in ways that reflect Christ in us. I cannot think of anything that surpasses this teaching for building relationships. When I treat others the way I want to be treated I put their needs ahead of mine but in the process my needs are also met. I can't explain that I just know it is true. It is a God-thing working in us. It is like tithing – I can't explain how nine tenths goes farther than ten tenths but it does – it's a God-thing.

The author gives some clear explanation of the substitute rules we sometimes insert in our relationships that may begin good but end in disaster. (pg. 299-300)

  • The Reciprocal Rule – You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours
  • The Ricochet Rule – How I've been treated by others is how I treat you
  • The Hidden Motive Rule – I'm acting like I'm doing this for you but it is really to get what I want

How often do you find yourself substituting one of these rules for the Golden Rule? When I take careful examination of my motives I find myself doing this more than I would like to think I do. So today I will focus on keeping the Golden Rule foremost in my relationships and let God sort out and meet my needs.

Lord, help me to operate out of the Golden Rule rather than one of the substitutes. I want my relationships and life to count for you and honor you. Make me aware when I am not living this out. Amen

What do you think?

No comments: