Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Life Journal – 11-04-2008

Faith Lived Out

This week I am taking a break from the 40 Days of Love because of the Next Generation Power Force rally this past Sunday. This special opportunity came and so I asked the small groups to take a break this week from the 40 Days material and we will resume with week 5 on Sunday. Therefore this week I will be sharing from the life journal again.

(S) Scripture

Job 27:2-6 (NASB77) "As God lives, who has taken away my right, And the Almighty, who has embittered my soul,
For as long as life is in me, And the breath of God is in my nostrils,
My lips certainly will not speak unjustly, Nor will my tongue mutter deceit.
"Far be it from me that I should declare you right; Till I die I will not put away my integrity from me.
"I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go. My heart does not reproach any of my days.

(O) Observation

In this passage Job reveals his faith and character. He will maintain his integrity and hold fast to acting righteously. What a testimony. His has lost nearly everything and his friends are not being helpful and yet Job holds on to what he knows is right and just and Godly.

(A) Application

It seems our tendency is to protect and defend ourselves in times of trouble and stress. We blame God for our circumstances. We ask God why he did this or that to us? At best we ask why he allowed something that he could have prevented. We fail to look for the big picture, what God is doing in us to prepare us for other things. Job's wife had encouraged him to "curse God and die." But Job held on to the truth of his faith. I want to do the same. In the face of accusation or even when I think God has "embittered my soul" I want to hold to the truth of my faith and walk with Jesus.

It is not always easy but it is the only path to take if I want to continue to grow as a Christian. What do you do when a friend needs to be corrected and you risk being misunderstood but you integrity compels you to talk with the person. I think the 40 Days of Love lessons are being put to the test. Interesting how he Lord prepares you in advance for what He needs you to do.

(P) Prayer

Lord, you know the difficult task I have before me. Help me to speak the truth in love and to maintain my integrity and to act in ways that please you. It is not easy but it is the path I must take so I ask that you fill me with your Spirit and walk the path with me.

No comments: