Sunday, November 30, 2008

Life Journal 11-30-2008

My Obligation

(S) Scripture
I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish.
Romans 1:14 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul revealed his calling as an obligation to those who were not like him, Greeks and Barbarians and also to the wise and foolish. It is easy to share with those like us or with the wise but difficult to those unlike us and foolish.

(A) Application
It is easy for me to forget that my calling is also like Paul's, to those unlike me and to both the wise and foolish. Who are the Greeks and Barbarians for me. There are people here in Charlotte that I have very little in common with, some are rich or poor, others are crude or sophicated, some educated or uneducated. I am called to all these. I am obligated to all these people because of what Jesus has done in my life. I operate better in some of these circles than I do in others but I must share in all of them. I think of some of my bowling friends – I am obligated to them. That is why I bowl. I must intentionally put myself in places where I can be with those who do not yet follow Christ. I am obligated. Today I want to be more intentional in meeting those to whom I am obligated for the sake of Christ.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I thank you for the work you have done in my life and for the forgiveness I have received. Let me now share that with others. Help me to recognize the opportunities you bring to my life. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sense of calling to the greater Charlotte community reflects a lost theology of past centuries; a call not only to the local church that "employs" you; but rather to the broader community. Thus, your community becomes your parish! That's a wonderful perspective. Thus, when the congregants become agitated (something that rarely happens in Charlotte, I'm sure), remind yourself often that your true calling is much larger than just FBC. Your old bud!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I forget just who it is that God has called me to serve. The church is called to serve the community around it not just to take care of its own. The 40 Days of Love was a good reminder to keep our focus outward and not just inward.