Monday, November 24, 2008

Life Journal – 11-24-2008

Thick-headed

(S) Scripture
"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
Matthew 18:5-6 (NIV)

Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
Matthew 19:13 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus has just told the disciples how important children are to him. They represent how we are to trust God – with childlike faith not childish but childlike. Shortly after that the disciples rebuke the people for bringing their children to Jesus so he could bless them. How quickly they forgot what Jesus said to them. Jesus asks for the children and blesses them and I think implied is that the disciples were rebuked by Jesus.

(A) Application
I wonder how many times I am like the disciples. I hear and understand clearly a teaching of Jesus and shortly after act in just the opposite way. It is as if I had never heard or understood. I suppose my sin nature has a great deal to do with this. I know my selfish side wants what I want and is not really concerned with other's needs. Here I stand "thick-headed" like the disciples. I want to think that I am smarter than that but too often I am just like the disciples. I am so glad that Jesus corrected their behavior and let them continue to follow him. I too can be corrected, forgiven, cleansed and then continue to follow. Today I will work at not being so thick-headed and will seek to obey what I understand Jesus is asking me to do.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know how thick-headed and stubborn I can be. I ask that you make me aware when I am ignoring what you have asked of me and that you would forgive me and allow me to continue to follow you. I want most to be faithful to you but I need Your strength and guidance for that to happen in my life. Thank you for your patience, love and forgiveness. Amen

No comments: