Monday, November 10, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 30

How Humility Handles Ambition

Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:4 (NIV)

There is a great difference between being childlike and childish. I had never thought of childlikeness in the way the author presented it. I know that a child must depend on others but I had not thought about how freely a child asks for things. Because they are totally dependent they must ask for everything and so it never enters their thoughts not to ask (p 260-261). That was an eye opener for me. Children are not afraid or timid – they just ask. Many ask and ask and ask. It is when they stomp their foot and begin to demand that they become childish. That is generally met with discipline from the parent.

Wanting to be all that God created me to be and desiring to experience all that God has for me is ambitious but not for self-seeking reasons. Rather it is to fulfill God's will in my life and that can only come as I trust in Him. I must become like that child that depends totally and asks freely. Humility is recognizing that I am dependent on God and that gives me his perspective on my ambitions. Seeing myself as God sees me allows me to live my live under his control, power and provision.

Lord, teach me to depend on you and make me aware of when I am being childish and not childlike. Amen

No comments: