Thursday, November 20, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 40

The Relationship Principles of Jesus

This has been a great emphasis for me and for the church. In the middle of tough economic times here in Michigan it would be easy for us to turn our attention to ourselves and to huddle-up. This emphasis of Love has caused us to move our attention off ourselves and onto others. It helps us keep our outward focus. If that were all this study did I would be grateful. But it did much more. In my own life it has caused me to slow down and listen to the people around me; not to be so consumed with my own agenda to ignore or pass off the people around me. My life has been so enriched by the depth of conversations I have had during these 40 days. I look forward to continuing the behaviors I have learned.

At our Men's Prayer Breakfast this morning the comment was made, about this study, "If we would just practice the Golden Rule (Luke 6:31) we could almost throw away our Bibles." Not quite but we would certainly be acting more like Jesus than we normally do. He was not advocating abandoning Scripture but I think you get the point of what he was saying.

On a lighter note in Staff meeting this week the comment was made, "I am looking forward to Celebration Sunday and the conclusion of these 40 Days of Love because I have a couple of people I want to talk to and on Monday I can do it like I want to." This was in jest and we all know how this emphasis on loving others the way Jesus loves us really has changed the way we talk to each other even in difficult times of conflict.

What a joy it has been. One person said, "I hate to see this study end." So do I so let's just keep loving like Jesus loves us. Our community will be better, our church will be better, our families will be better and we will be better for it.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: