Saturday, November 15, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 35

The Daily Decision of Humility

Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
1 Peter 5:5-6 (NIV)

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Philippians 2:5 (NIV)

This is the best daily reading so far for me. To again be reminded that I am to humble myself and also to have the same attitude as Jesus is indeed a reminder I need. It is so easy to get caught up in yourself that nothing else matters much. Today Becky and I have been refinishing some furniture. We were both covered in sawdust and then stain. Just as we were cleaning up the phone rang and it was the hospital asking if I would come and talk with a distraught patient. I first thought of saying no because I had other plans but I knew the right thing to do was to go and so I did. WWJD is still a good question to ask. The correct answer will keep us from thinking more of ourselves than others.

I thought the description of humility on page 292 was the best I have seen. "Humility is not thinking less of myself; it is thinking more of others. Humility is not putting myself down; it is lifting God up. Humility is not denying my strengths; it is being open and honest about my weaknesses. Humility is seeing that without Christ I can do nothing, but with Christ I can do all things!"

When I begin to live my life by that definition of humility I will:

  • begin to be used in great ways by God.
  • have deep and meaningful relationships
  • make a difference in people's lives for the sake of Christ
  • experience life at its fullest – the way Jesus promised

I will ponder this lesson for days to come.

What are you thinking.

No comments: