Sunday, November 23, 2008

Life Journal 11-23-2008

A Solitary Place

(S) Scripture
When Jesus heard what had happened he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns.
Matthew 14:13 (NIV)

(O) Observation
When Jesus go the news of the death of John the Baptist he went to a private place. On hearing about the death of a friend, Jesus needed to be alone with His Father so he went to a solitary place. The crowds would not leave him alone and followed by foot to where he went. Jesus went by boat and at least for that time he was alone.

(A) Application
So often when we hear bad news we immediately seek our friends to be with. Jesus went first to His Father and so should we. Friends are necessary but there are times when we need to be alone with God. Howard Hendricks, a professor at Dallas Seminary, said, "You can never do enough for people if you are always surrounded by people." Jesus knew that if he was going to be able to help the crowd he first needed to be alone with His Father. That is why this quiet time is so important for me. It is my time with God that is not disturbed or interrupted by people. As God recharges my spirit I can then help others. I have missed this time with God the last couple of days. Today I renew my commitment to this time each day. I know I cannot adequately minister to people if I have not had this time with my Father.

(P) Prayer
Father, thank you for the reminder from the life of Jesus about the need for solitude. I commit to this time with you again today. Give me strength to follow through and teach me what I need to know to more fully follow You. Amen

No comments: