Monday, December 1, 2008

Life Journal – 12-01-2008

The Difference a Phrase Makes

(S) Scripture
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1 (NASB77)

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:1 (KJV)

(O) Observation
The translators of the KJV included the phrase, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit," that because of more and better manuscript evidence was not included in the NASB. That phrase is huge and changes the meaning. There is no condemnation for the Christian, period. There is no qualifying phrase that follows, no parenthetic phrase, no catch phrase. I do not know if a scribe copying this letter simply could not believe what he read and so inserted this phrase or whether it was part of an early church father's preaching notes but what I do know is that it is not part of the best of the New Testament manuscripts. My relationship with God is not dependent on my performance it is dependent on God and his word. This does not mean that I am free to live in sin. Paul says "May it never be!" My relationship with God is always in his hands and secure in his character. I am to live as his child free from the burden and slavery to sin and alive to new life that is empowered by the Holy Spirit.

(A) Application
What a freeing statement. I do not need to be looking over my shoulder wondering what God is going to do to me. I do not need to wonder about whether I am in or out of heaven. God does not condemn his children. He continues to discipline us when we are wrong or on a wayward path much like we do our own children but that is out of love for us. I need God's discipline in order to become the person he wants me to be. His condemnation would crush my spirit and render me useless in his kingdom. To know that he does not condemn me allows me to live fully trusting him. Many of us have experienced that "long pointing finger" and the frown and words of condemnation and know what it does to us. This is the Good News. God does not act like that. He loves us and wants the best for us. Now that is a life worth living. Today I will again rejoice in what it means to be God's child. I will thank him for his love and care and strength and power and discipline in my life. Today I will live free for Jesus.

(P) Prayer
Father I do not understand your ways at times. How could you not condemn me when I sin so often? Yet, you do not. You forgive and cleanse and empower me to be the person you called me to be. Let me live that way today and be a witness to you love and grace. Thank you for your word that encourages us to live for you. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding your readers that the KJV has some serious hermeneutical problems. All of those lectures in textual criticsm in serminary has been useful, after all. (Of course, I'm suspecting that most of your loyal KJV readers probably don't own a computer! Safe bet? :) ) Your Old Bud!

Anonymous said...

Let's show a little grace to our brothers and sisters and pray that they will be released from the slavery of the parenthetic phrase