Friday, December 19, 2008

Life Journal – 12-19-2008

Where to Turn

(S) Scripture
As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew, and were not walking with Him anymore.
Jesus said therefore to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?"
Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.
"And we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."
John 6:66-69 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Jesus is speaking and has said some difficult things and many followers were not walking with him any longer. When Jesus confronts the twelve Peter responds with a great response, "Where else could we go?" It is only Jesus who has the words of eternal life. It is an example for us to follow.

(A) Application
There are times (not often) when I think that following Jesus is too hard or costs too much. Sometimes it is difficult to do what He asks. It is difficult because of my selfishness or pride; I may not want to give or take the time or be hospitable to a particular person. When God prompts me to follow him by doing something I need to follow without grumbling. In the passage some followers withdrew and did not walk with Jesus any longer. What a tragedy. Think about all they missed. When I think of myself it is also a tragedy and I miss so much because of my selfishness. It is Jesus who has the words of eternal life and that life begins here. It is not just quantity but is also quality. If I want the full quality of life that Jesus offers I need to walk Him all the time. I must lay aside my stubbornness and obey Him. Why would I listen to anyone else (including myself) when he has the words of eternal life. Today I will follow and listen and obey the One who has the words of eternal life so that I might experience it.

(P) Prayer
Father, forgive my stubborn spirit and let me follow Jesus. I want to walk with Him every moment of every day. He has the words that direct my life toward you. Help me to follow Him. Amen

 

No comments: