Saturday, December 6, 2008

Life Journal – 12-06-2008

Be Anxious for Nothing

(S) Scripture
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB77)

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank him for his answers.
If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (TLB)

(O) Observation
This is a passage on practical living. Paul gives a number of practical directives for us to implement into our lives. Rejoice, Be patient, Don't worry, Pray, Be thankful, Trust God's Peace, and let your mind dwell on all that is good from God. Do this and you will experience God's Peace. His peace will stand guard over your heart.

(A) Application
The verses I chose deal with worry and it's solution. I cited both the NASB and the Living Bible because the Living Bible is so vivid in its rendering of what Paul is saying. It is interesting to me that this is the passage for tomorrow's message on "Laying Down Worry and Embracing God's Peace." Peace is what the angel promised and it seems in short supply in our lives and world. Worry on the other hand seems to be rampant and it robs us of God's peace. Why are we so prone to worry? Because we trust God so little. We don't really believe that God is able to handle our circumstances or maybe we are simply afraid that he will not answer the way we want him to.

If I want to experience the peace of God I must trust the God of Peace. Worry accomplishes nothing good, changes nothing and robs us of God's peace. Today I choose to trust God. I will pray about everything (That leaves out nothing) with thanksgiving (my thankfulness shows I trust God even if I don't understand things). It is then that God's peace (that goes beyond my ability to comprehend) will seize my heart and guard it from all attacks. That is the way I want to live especially at this time of the year when we are celebrating Jesus' birth.

(P) Prayer
Father, today I trust you and thank you for all you have done and are doing in my life. Give me the strength to trust you when I don't understand things. I need your peace to guard my heart. Let me experience the Angel's promise of peace that was delivered on that first Christmas. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to make a statement about your comment on the peace of guarding my heart from all attacks. I strongly agree that it "guards" but I most often expect "prevention" from being attacked. The more I pursue being at peace with God, the more I am attacked! My greatest challenge then is with each attack, to claim Jesus as the victor before my temptor, Satan, weasels his ways of discouraging and oppressing me. Only in Jesus is there total success and I will continue to come back to Christ with each attack. You are and your insights are a treasure to me. My prayer is that our God in Christ will help you stay close to Him so that you will remain strong. Thank you. Ric