Sunday, December 7, 2008

Life Journal – 12-07-2008

A New Challenge

(S) Scripture
Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, Colossians 1:25 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul is encouraging the Colossian believers and then gives an interesting commentary on his own call. His call was for their benefit and it was carried out in his preaching of the word of God.

(A) Application
I do not recall considering my call in terms of the benefit it is to the church. I know that each of us is to live out our calls in ways that benefit our sisters and brothers but I had never thought of it the way Paul states it here. My call is for the benefit of the people here at FBC. I know that preaching is important and I work at it. This though is a sobering thought. My calling is to benefit the church not just myself. My call is not just personal but it has a public component. Today I will seek to live up to the high nature of this call in my life.

(P) Prayer
Father, there is no way I can live this out without your help, strength and guidance. I want to be filled with the Holy Spirit so that my life will make a difference for you. Use me to benefit the church here in Charlotte. Thank you for your grace and calling in my life. Amen

No comments: