Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Journal 12-10-2008

A Blessed Heritage

(S) Scripture
You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them;
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 3:14-15 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul tells Timothy to continue in the things he has learned. The foundation for these was laid in his childhood. Timothy was to remain true to the faith he had learned from his mother and grandmother. This faith was rooted in God's Word which is the focus of the next verses in this passage.

(A) Application
I am today who I am because of the instruction I received from my parents and grandparents. Yesterday I wrote about the influence of my uncles. That influence was significant in my life but it pales in comparison to the influence of my parents and grandparents. I am so blessed to be part of a family of faithful people. My parents taught me the lessons of faith early on and never wavered in their instruction. They lived what they taught. My dad died in 1984 and I so miss his wise counsel. My mom continues to be an inspiration in my life. Hers continues to be a life of service lived out through the church. My grandparents were also deeply involved in serving the Lord through the local church. I cannot adequately express my gratitude for the foundation they laid in my life that brought me to faith in Jesus and now to the ministry I have been called to. Today I want to influence others the way I was influenced. I want to build into others the faith that was built in me.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I know that I am blessed. Thank you for the people you had build in my life. Thank you for parents and grandparents who were people committed to you and who taught me those lessons of faith that I needed. Thank you for using me now to pass that faith on to the next generation. Help me to build in others the same way people built in me. Amen

No comments: