Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Life Journal 12-23-2008

The Spirit of Truth

(S) Scripture
"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
"He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you.
John 16:13-14 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
In this passage Jesus is telling the disciples about the coming of the Holy Spirit. Jesus calls him the "Helper" or "Paracletos" (One who comes alongside to help). He is also called the "Spirit of Truth". He will convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. He is to guide the believer into all truth and will always glorify Jesus not himself.

(A) Application
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity and so is part of the Godhead. It is His job to bring people under conviction and when they respond in faith to Christ, He then leads them into all truth. The interesting thing here is that the Holy Spirit never seeks to glorify himself but always points to Jesus. I know many Christians who focus on the work of the Holy Spirit (and that is important) but also point people to the Holy Spirit and glorify the Spirit instead of Jesus and that is wrong. The Holy Spirit will never draw attention to Himself and those filled with the Holy Spirit will glorify Christ not the Spirit. Today I will focus on glorifying Christ as I trust the Holy Spirit to guide and control my life.

(P) Prayer
Father, thank you for placing the Holy Spirit in my life as your guarantee of my relationship with you. Today I give control of my life to Him and with His help I want to glorify Jesus today. As we near the celebration of Jesus' birth let me lift Him up so that others might worship the Savior that was born in Bethlehem. Amen

No comments: