Monday, December 8, 2008

Life Journal – 12-08-2008

The Benefit of Godliness

(S) Scripture
But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;
for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:7-8 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
In his instruction to Timothy, Paul tells him to discipline himself for godliness. It is this spiritual discipline that is beneficial for all things because it holds the promise of god for the temporal and the eternal. Godliness benefits us in this life and also with our eternal life with the Lord. It is a discipline which means that it must be learned and practiced and is not natural. We must work each day at godliness – it does not just happen.

(A) Application
I wish these verses let me off the hook for being physically fit but they do not. That is still a struggle and needs to be a discipline because it will not just happen. These verses do though put the physical in its proper position behind being godly. Discipline for godliness is a strong command. It must do the things (exercise, if you will) those habits that produce godly behaviors. This devotion is one of the core elements of that discipline. Prayer and Bible study and sharing my faith are other elements. I must work at offering grace and mercy and forgiveness to the people I come in contact with each day. Some are not so lovely and others seem arrogant and aloof. I must continue to love them like Jesus loves me and that isn't easy at times. Today I will focus on these spiritual disciplines and also get back into a routine of going to the wellness center to work on my fitness.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know how I struggle with the physical exercise thing. Help me to do what I need to do. I need your strength each day. Help me to develop the spiritual disciplines that will lead to godliness. Amen

No comments: