Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Life Journal – 12-16-2008

How Should We Live (a summary)

(S) Scripture
To sum up, let all be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;
not returning evil for evil, or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.
1 Peter 3:8-9 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Peter has been giving instructions about submitting to the Lord, government authorities, each other and then in the family. Peter then comes to this great summary statement. It is longer than Jesus' "love God with… and your neighbor as yourself," but Peter is teaching much the same things. When we live the way Peter describes we are living the way God intends us to live and we will be blessed. That is our calling as followers of Jesus.

(A) Application
Peter's description of how things in our lives should be is too often the opposite of what they are in reality. Too often I am disobedient, obstinate, pushy, proud and unkind. Then I wonder why I do not sense God's blessing in my life. DUH!!! This message is not difficult to understand but it is tough to live out. It though is our calling and that should mean something. I am called and compelled to live this kind of life and the result is God's blessing. Today I will seek to live the way Peter describes. I will stop my selfish, critical attitudes and live the way God desires.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know how natural it is for me to be selfish and to think only of myself. I know that is not the way you want me to live and it is not what you have called me to. Today live your life through me and teach me to live the way Peter described. I want to experience you blessing. Amen

No comments: