Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Life Journal 12-02-2008

Who Is The Potter

(S) Scripture
On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?
Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use, and another for common use?

Romans 9:20-21 (NASB77)


(O) Observation
Paul addresses the arrogance of mankind. Just who are we to question God or tell him what he should do? Paul uses a simple illustration of a potter to show our relationship. He is the potter and we are the clay. It is he who makes us and decides what our purpose will be.


(A) Application
God is the potter and I am not! How arrogant is it for me to tell God what he should dop and how I should be made and fro what purpose. I suppose we all, in our selfishness, want to be made for the "honorable use" but what then happens to those who need a common touch. Being molded is not an easy task especially when I want to be something different than what the Potter has in mind. Too often I resist his hands and the changes he is making in me and as a result I miss out on all he has in store for me. I would be wise to let God mold me anyway he chooses and be what he created me to be. When I feel like a "square peg in a round hole" I know that I have again tried to change what God has made me to be. Today I want nothing more than to be who God has called and fashioned me to be. Today I will let his hands mold me and I will not complain.


(P) Prayer
Father, it is not easy being on the wheel and not knowing the outcome of your handiwork and design. Give me the grace to live out the calling you placed in my life. Let me fulfill my purpose today. Amen

No comments: