Sunday, December 14, 2008

Life Journal – 12-14-2008

When I Get Discouraged

(S) Scripture
For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you may not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:3 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
On the heels of the verses that tell us to run with endurance the author of Hebrews gives us this nugget of encouragement. Knowing that running with endurance would have its tough and discouraging moments the author reminds us to look at what Jesus endured. He endured that for us and so we can continue in His strength.

(A) Application
For years I have used the first two verses of this chapter. They are familiar to many of us:
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NASB77)

I have heard and preached many sermons on these verses but have yet to hear or preach a message that included verse three. This verse gives us the fuel we need to continue when tough times come. As I remember what Jesus endured it puts my struggles into perspective and empowers me to continue moving forward. As I live my life today I will do so remembering what Jesus endured for me and so regardless of my circumstances I will move forward.

(P) Prayer
Lord Jesus, sometimes I act as if you didn't suffer or endure anything for me. Forgive me for my sin. Since you endured so much for me I certainly can endure whatever comes my way for you. Teach me to trust you first and always. Give me the grace to deal with those who sin against me. Teach me to love others like you have and continue to love me. Amen

No comments: