Thursday, December 11, 2008

Life Journal 12-11-2008

Come Confidently

(S) Scripture
Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:16 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
The author has just been discussing our confession of faith and the High Priest we have in Jesus. On that basis we are to come with confidence to the throne of grace. We come as family and there we receive grace and help in time of need.

(A) Application
I am reminded of the scene in the movie, The Godfather, where people come to Don Corleone to ask for favors (he cannot refuse them at his daughter's wedding). They come in fear and make their requests. I am so glad that our Father is not like that. In this passage we are told to come to God with confidence or boldness. We come as children not as strangers. Because of our faith in Jesus we can approach God's throne with confidence. What a thought! I can approach Almighty God with confidence, knowing that He will hear me and give attention to my request and needs. I do not need to be afraid or timid. I am going to my father and he loves me and wants the best for me and will work for me. Why then do I hesitate? Generally because I have unconfessed sin in my life and I think he is angry and disappointed and will not hear or act. Nothing is farther from the truth. God is eager to hear, eager to forgive and eager to cleanse my life and then to make me into the person He wants me to be.

Today is my oldest daughter's birthday. I cannot imagine refusing to allow her into my presence or making it seem like a favor to her. I long to talk with her and to be with her and to hear what is happening and to sense what she needs. I would hope that she would come to me in confidence that her father will accept, hear and help her.

Today I will not shy away from His throne but will go there confidently and spend time with my Father.

(P) Prayer
Father, thank you for making me your child and allowing me access to you. Teach me not to be afraid or timid but to come to you in the confidence a child has in going to their father.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your metaphor of "family" is contextually consistent with the broader text of Hebrews, in which the Messiah is portrayed as "our brother." Thus, when we approach the "throne of grace" we are connecting not only with one who can provide us with adequate resources, i.e. "grace and mercy" but one who can relate to us as a brother. This is furthermore affirmed in the same section you cited that we have one who has been "tempted" (tested) in every way as we have been and yet did not sin. Good insight! By the way, does your blog suggest you watch "R" rated movies? :) "The Bud"

Anonymous said...

I could say that I saw the movie on TV and that would be true but I have to admit to liking Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson and other action movies that sometimes carry an "R" rating. Guilty as charged. Thanks for bringing up my shortcomings :)

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you bro!

"The Bud"