Sunday, December 21, 2008

Life Journal 12-21-2008

Who's Voice Do You Follow?

(S) Scripture
"But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep.
"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out.
"When he puts forth all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.
"And a stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers."
John 10:2-5 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Sheep will only follow the voice of their shepherd. They know the voice and know that it is from the one who will care and protect them. They will not follow another but will flee from them because it is a strange voice.

(A) Application
I am surrounded by many voices that cry out for my attention. The voices of advertizers or culture shapers or from those who would have me sacrifice the best for something less. These voices are so loud that sometimes they drown out the voice of Jesus. I must listen closely to hear His voice. I am reminded of the scripture that says: "The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by. "Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12 (NIV)

I must listen for that quiet voice that will not shout for my attention but will rather continue until I choose to listen. Today I want to listen and hear that voice. I want to filter out the loud voices that would keep me from doing what God desires. Today I will act on the gentle whisper of God.

(P) Prayer
Lord help me to filter out the loud useless voices that clamor for my attention and let me hear your voice. Open my ears and eyes and heart to hear, see, and understand what you are saying to me. Give me the courage and will to then act on what you have said. Amen

No comments: