Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life Journal – 12-09-2008

A Smack of Reality

(S) Scripture
But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.
Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance.
Titus 2:1-2 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul is giving instruction to Titus. He is to speak only that which leads to sound doctrine and as an "older man" he is to set the example for the younger men. He is to pass on to the next generation what he knows as a leader in the church.

(A) Application
In my life and ministry I have had many show me the way of faith, parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles, bosses and co-workers. I looked to some of these as mentors. When I think about my spiritual mentors I think first of my two uncles who were pastors. Ward Robinson, my mom's brother now with the Lord, and Jim Crouch, my dad's brother, who is still an inspiration to my life and ministry. I suppose I still think of myself as a "young, 40 something pastor with much to learn from older pastors," and yet the reality is that I am 60. When I look in the mirror I see lots of gray hair and some wrinkles (the sure signs of wisdom J) and this passage reminds me that I have an obligation to those following after me. Just as my uncles have modeled ministry and mentored me I must now be about modeling and mentoring others. The smack of reality is that I am that "older man" and I have much to share. I must live a life of faithfulness that is described in these verses. I have been given a great gift of learning from two of the most Godly pastors I know (even though they are family) and I must mow share what I know with others.

Today I will thank God for the older men he put in my life to mentor me. I will call Uncle Jim and thank him for his continued influence in my life. I will seek to pass what I know on to others. By God's grace and in the power of the Holy Spirit I will develop and live out these qualities in my life.

(P)
Father, I thank you for my Uncles who poured so much of their lives into mine. I am in large part the pastor I am today because of their mentoring. Let me now be an influence in others lives. I can only do this with your help, strength and courage. Teach me to be that "older man" and to be so with grace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, your conviction regarding multiplying our ministry at First Baptist by supporting another upcoming generation is true. Years ago, one of our youth pastors and our senior pastor worked hard to identify young people who have gifts for ministry. It was very successful. Are we still doing anything intentionally? Pastor Schmutz and Pastor More did a good job in this. I hope we can still do this. I know it helped the youn people I knew then and it was a real encouragement to those of us who are....like you.....gettin a few gray hairs. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Pastor,

I hope my comments did not seem like I was comparing our current pastors to former ones. You guys do a really great job and really are appreciated. I jus wondered if we still do something to get young people to think about pasturing like the past ones did. I know we have some right now studying to become preachers. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

It is an area where we need to do better. In the past I have talked to each High School Senior about what they were going to do for the sake of the kingdom in their life work. I know that Ryan talks with the seniors but I am not sure how intentional we are in this. It certainly is something we need to be doing. Thanks for the gentle prod.