Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Life Journal – 12-03-2008

(S) Scripture
Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

Romans 13:1-2 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul certainly did not live in a time of godly rulers and yet his teaching was that these rulers are established by God and deserve our respect and obedience. It is hard to imagine that Paul taught this but he did and it is God's Word for the believers in Rome and also for us.

(A) Application
This is a particularly difficult passage for me especially when we have just elected a president that holds many positions that are immoral to me. Abortion and Homosexual marriage are two that make it hard for me to trust his judgment in other areas. I have a different worldview and it makes it difficult to follow. And yet here the scriptures tell me that God has established this ruler and that I am to submit to his authority. I know that the best thing I can do is to pray for the president-elect. I must earnestly pray for him and the judgments he makes. I am bound to actively influence decisions where I can. I am committed to living out my faith empowered by the Holy Spirit even in the face of opposition from the government. I do not believe God asks us to compromise the truth or to remain silent in the face of evil. In Acts 4 Peter and John are faced with being told to obey the government rather than God. Look at their response:

But when they had ordered them to go aside out of the Council, they began to confer with one another, saying, "What shall we do with these men? For the fact that a noteworthy miracle has taken place through them is apparent to all who live in Jerusalem, and we cannot deny it. "But in order that it may not spread any further among the people, let us warn them to speak no more to any man in this name." And when they had summoned them, they commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, "Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge;
for we cannot stop speaking what we have seen and heard."
Acts 4:15-20 (NASB77)

Today I have been challenged not to complain or whine about the president-elect but rather to pray for him and his administration. I will also continue to speak the truth of scripture as I understand it and I will not cower in fear in the face of opposition. I will live faithfully to the lord and thank God I live in America where I am politically free to challenge the government when I think it is wrong and yet subject to its laws. This is a fine line to walk and yet God has called believers to walk it and so I will.

(P) Prayer
Lord Jesus, without your help and guidance this is impossible. Show me how to navigate these waters in a way that honors you and is faithful to your word. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I voted for McCain and am also concerned about our President-elect's position on abortion. However, a close evangelical friend pointed out to me that if he does what he says he wants to do in areas related to adoption, medical support for the impoverished and more, he may, in the long haul, have a greater impact on abortion that McCain ever could. My friend also suggested that it doesn't matter if a republican was elected or not; it's highly unlikely that Roe-Wade will ever be overturned. Sad, but probably true. The bud!