Friday, July 3, 2009

Life Journal 07-03-2009

Look for God

(S) Scripture
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Isaiah 6:1 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Isaiah is recounting his own call to ministry and how God spoke to him. It begins with a sense of seeing God and then hearing what He says.

(A) Application
One activity of our Bible School was to "look for God" in ordinary things each day. Each one that was reported was represented by a firefly placed on one of the shacks at Crocodile Dock. By the end of the week the shacks were covered. I wonder when the last time I could say with Isaiah and the kids at our church that I had a God sighting. Isaiah saw God high and lifted up. The kids saw God in many small acts done by others or in nature. I must ask myself when the last time I honestly looked for God and when did I last see Him. IT is easy to get so busy doing God's work that you forget to look to spend time with Him or to see Him in the common and ordinary things around you. Today I will "Look for God". I will focus on seeing Him and not ignoring His work in my world or in the actions of others.

(P) Prayer
Lord, let me see you today. Let me see you in Your Majesty and also in the common around me. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing God AND worshipping God is critical to discovering one's calling, as Isaiah discovered. My concern is that today we look to see God in the trivial and fail to see God in the incredible, unimaginable. As a result, we end up reducing the charcter of God and diminishing His greatness. I am also concerned about our response to the greatness of God. In our culture when we have a "God sighting" (nice phrase!), we end up saying such things as "Isn't taht nice." "That's awesome" (One of the most overused phrases in the English language today). However, Isaiah was forced to fall on his face and to confront his own sinfulness. It was only then that he could allow his life to be disposed to God's purpose. I agree that we must be open to seeing God in the ordinary, but seeing God, even in the ordinary, should not lead to an ordinary response. It should lead to an extraordinary response of appropriate awe, amazement, humility, confession and reverence.
"Buddy"

Robin Crouch said...

I could not agree more. Well said. I do appreciate the care "my Bud" gives to the responses made on this blog. I appreciate when the comments take the idea farther and deeper.