Monday, July 20, 2009

Life Journal 07-20-2009

Directives

(S) Scripture
In everything that he undertook in the service of God's temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.
2 Chronicles 31:21 (NIV)

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
James 4:7-8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The Chronicles' passage described the work and life of Hezekiah. He was faithful to God and followed with his whole heart and he prospered. The passage in James gives us the directives to follow that will produce a similar result. This is not a health and wealth message but one of obedience and blessing. God's blessing may not be material prosperity but our lives are full and meaningful.

(A) Application
I want to live like this. I want to live in a way that the last words of the Chronicles passage could legitimately be carved on my tombstone, "he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered". For that to be true I need to practice the directives given by James. Today I will return my attention to living out these directives. I will submit to God, seek to resist the devil, draw near to God and receive God's cleansing. Today will be a great day.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know my heart and my desires. Let me get to know you better today, do your work in me and use me in the lives of others. Amen

No comments: