Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Life Journal 07-14-2009

It Really Is By Faith

(S) Scripture
Hebrews 11

(O) Observation
The writer makes it clear from history and the lives of the heroes of Israel that our standing with God has always been by faith. Before Christ it was by faith that people pleased God. After Christ it is by faith that people please God. It has always been and will always be "by faith" that we please God and receive His blessing in our lives.

(A) Application
Whenever I try to live on my own power I cannot please God or receive His blessing and power in my life. It is "by faith" that I can and will please Him. Today I will again focus on living by faith. I will seek to walk by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit.

(P) Prayer
Lord, fill me with the Holy Spirit today and let me walk faithfully with you. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this text. Thanks for using it. I'm also reminded that faith in the context of Heb. 11 is consistently linked with obedience. None of these individuals took a leaping dive, making irrational decisions that were based upon "feelings" or "emotions." In each case, they were being obedient to God. Faith is only faith when it responds to God's call, not when it relies on "hunches," "intuition" or other subject mechanisms. That's important...I've heard too many people say, "I know it doesn't make sense, but I have faith." But if God didn't specifically speak through the Word, other individuals, the church, etc. it's not faith. It's presumption. "B"

Robin Crouch said...

Well said!!!