Sunday, July 19, 2009

Life Journal 07-19-2009

Split Loyalties

(S) Scripture
They worshiped the LORD, but they also served their own gods in accordance with the customs of the nations from which they had been brought.
To this day they persist in their former practices. They neither worship the LORD nor adhere to the decrees and ordinances, the laws and commands that the LORD gave the descendants of Jacob, whom he named Israel.
2 Kings 17:33-34 (NIV)

They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices.
Even while these people were worshiping the LORD, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.
2 Kings 17:40-41 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The Israelites ignored God's command to follow and worship Him alone. They tried to both worship God and the gods of the people around them. This brought God's anger and punishment. The result was a heart calloused to God and mimicked by their children and grandchildren. The example of disobedience they set was followed by the generations that followed.

(A) Application
This is a sobering passage. I wonder what other "idols" I try to worship along with the Lord. I may not have shrines built for them but I wonder. What about golf and TV and my image in town. These quickly come to mind when I think of things that occupy my time. After all don't you give your time to the things you hold dear and "worship"? Today I will work on my priorities and put all those other things in their proper place somewhere down the list from my relationship with the Lord. Those things are not evil in themselves but when I give them a place of priority in my live over my relationship with the Lord they become evil for me. The scary thing is that others will follow my example.

(P) Prayer
Lord, keep me focused on you. Help me to keep these other things in their proper place. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of the words of Jesus to either be hot or cold or race the risk of being spit out of His mouth. It also reminds me of contemporary evangelicals who hold to an "easy believism" without "tough commitment." I know that some have been critical of the "Lordship salvation" movement, but it does have some good to offer...reminding us that Biblically speaking, there really is no basis for affirming salvation without true Lordship. This passage affirms that.....anything less is divided loyalties, which in the end, is nothing at all. Return back safely. "Your Bud"