Monday, July 13, 2009

Life Journal 07-13-2009

The Way To Live

(S) Scripture
Since therefore, brethren, we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus,
by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh,
and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;
and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,
not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the day drawing near.
Hebrews 10:19-25 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Because Jesus is superior and is our high priest we are called to a new way of living. We are to:
    Draw near to God with a sincere heart
    Hold fast to the confession of our faith
    Stimulate each other to love and good deeds
    Gather together for encouragement and worship
That is a new way of living because it is the antithesis of our nature. These directives are counter to our natural selfish tendencies. This kind of living comes as a result of our lives being transformed by the Holy Spirit.

(A) Application
These four directives form a way of living that I desire. Too often I find myself focused only on my personal needs and struggles. I sometimes forget that I have a family in Christ that can and will help. When I am focused on myself I am not able to help others and then I am way out of whack with these directives. If I could outline a way to live that brings fulfillment and satisfaction it would have to resemble this one but it could not improve on this one. Today I will seek to live out these directives. I will practice them and by the power of the Holy Spirit they will become the normal for my life. I cannot produce this on my own but can with the Holy Spirit leading and empowering me.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know the work that must be done in my life in order for it to reflect these commands. Do that work in me. Amen

No comments: