Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Life Journal 07-08-2009

Come With Words

(S) Scripture
Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God. Your sins have been your downfall!
Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.
Hosea 14:1-2 (NIV)

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.
Psalm 100:1-2 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Hosea and David both tell us to use words with God. God speaks to us and expects us to speak back to Him. Words mean things and we are to use them with God. We are to express our repentance in words. We are to confess our sins with words. We are to worship and joy with words. God wants to hear from us.

(A) Application
It is appropriate to "be still" when I am contemplating the majesty and greatness of God. There are times when I am to be vocal and to remain silent is not acceptable. In the verses I chose for today I am to be vocal in my confession. That means that sins have names and I need to be specific when I confess. It is easy to be general and ask for general forgiveness but when I confess specifically I experience a specific sense of forgiveness. I am to use words when I worship, sing joyful songs. As I read these passages this morning I was reminded of my devotion on July 4. On that day I wrote about having a God that speaks to us. And here that God wants us , commands us, to speak to Him. We express our faith, worship, commitment and love for God with words. Today I will use words as I confess and worship.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I love you and want to be fully devoted to you. Teach me how to speak to you in ways you desire and in ways that draw me closer to you. Hear my prayer, grant me a sense of your presence today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In reflecting on these two passages together, I am struck by the fact that confessional acts of worship are just that...worship! If this is true, then why is it that in the "free church" traditions, we have lost the art of confession? We give little time for self introspection and reflection. We view it as being too "liturgical." We seldom...very seldom..include a focused opportunity for individuals to get real with God. We leave these elements of worshp up to our liturgical sisters and brothers in Christ. Corporate written confessions....prayers of confession....might it be that the time has come to restore these elements to worship? "bud"