Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Life Journal 07-21-2009

God Responds to Faith and Obedience

(S) Scripture
He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses.
2 Kings 18:6 (NIV)

Isaiah said to them, "Tell your master, 'This is what the LORD says: Do not be afraid of what you have heard--those words with which the underlings of the king of Assyria have blasphemed me.
Listen! I am going to put such a spirit in him that when he hears a certain report, he will return to his own country, and there I will have him cut down with the sword.'"
2 Kings 19:6-7 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Hezekiah was faithful and obedient to the Lord. When faced with the challenge of the king of Assyria he remained faithful to the Lord and led the people to do the same. The messengers from the king of Assyria did all they could to discourage and frighten the people of Judah but Hezekiah and the people remained strong. God honored their faithfulness and kept them from being overthrown and taken captive. In spite of all his threats and boasts of power it was the king of Assyria who died and Hezekiah and the people of Judah were saved.

(A) Application
I must be faithful and obedient to the Lord and His call in my life regardless of the threats and boasts thrown at me from others. I cannot be discouraged because it is the Lord God that I serve. I must trust that He will protect me and the people I serve. I must be faithful and obedient as the leader of the people of First Baptist. If we are to move forward in our ministry and mission then I must follow Hezekiah's example and be faithful and obedient. It is the only way we can move forward unafraid and with courage.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I will follow you. Strengthen my heart and my life. Protect me from the threats and boasts of the enemy. Let me lead this church to the future you have for us. Give me the strength to follow you faithfully and obediently. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This calls for resolute courage and peseverance, particuarly among individuals serving God in ministry. It calls for "dig your feet deep" courage. It demands an "I won't run, back down or be a coward" spirit. Go for it pastor! Keep growing, moving ahead and pushing! Some will not "get it". Some will wish to play it safe. Stretch, push, call....all the while knowing that God is with you. "Bud"