Monday, July 6, 2009

Life Journal 07-06-2009

Encourage

(S) Scripture
See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.
Hebrews 3:12-13 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The writer is warning against unbelief and gives a command to encourage one another each day. This encouragement keeps us from being hardened by sin.

(A) Application
This statement seems to say that encouragement is good for both the encourager and the one being encouraged. It is important to see to urgency in this command. We are to do this "Today" and not wait until tomorrow. We only have today and that is what we are to be about. I think maybe you can delay your criticism but encouragement is to happen each and every day. We are not to delay in our encouragement. Today I will seek to encourage those I meet. I will practice this command. I want to be known as an encourager and so I will be about that today.

(P) Prayer
Lord, make me aware of how best to encourage those around me today. Give me a heart that is sensitive to the needs of people and let me offer a good word for them today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis passage creates an intrigue in me of those individuals who claim that "I can worship God alone...on a golf course, in the mountains, etc. Who needs people to worship God?" According to this passage, we need each other. In fact this passage reminds me that accountability and exhortation can never happen alone. They happen in community. So they next time someone says, "I can worship God in the woods" maybe I'll use this text to ask them, "And when's the last time a flower, tree, or stone confronted you, exhorted you or encouraged your spirit?" Some things not even nature can do. Some things are left in the hands of people.
"Bud"

Robin Crouch said...

I could not have said it better. I am always pleased at how much deeper and richer you make my thoughts. Thanks again for reading and responding.