Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Life Journal 07-22-2009

When Under Fire

(S) Scripture
And Hezekiah prayed to the LORD:
"O LORD Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.
Give ear, O LORD, and hear; open your eyes, O LORD, and see; listen to all the words Sennacherib has sent to insult the living God.
"It is true, O LORD, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste all these peoples and their lands.
They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by human hands.
Now, O LORD our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God."
Isaiah 37:15-20 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The king of Assyria is ready to attack. He has sent messengers to intimidate and discourage the people. The messengers speak directly to the people but Hezekiah has instructed the people not to respond in any way. The threat is real and the destruction would be complete if it came about. Hezekiah's response was not one of fear or taking up the fight, he prayed. His prayer is an interesting one because it is not until the last line that he asks for deliverance. He acknowledges God for who he is and the Assyrian gods for who they are not. He simply asks God to protect His name and to show Himself to be the Almighty. Why? So all the kingdoms would know that He alone is God.

(A) Application
When under fire of attack or the peril of a pending attack too often I look for ways to defend myself or to take the fight to the others. Often when I pray it is first for safety and deliverance or vindication. Isaiah reminds me that I need to focus on the majesty of God and let him handle to forces set against me. My desire is that all the "kingdoms" around me know that He alone is God. How can that happen if I do all the fighting, maneuvering and work and leave Him out of the picture. I need to get out of God's way. He is the One to carry the battle. When I rely on Him sometimes He lets me know that I am in the wrong and must apologize. Regardless of the outcome it is important to me that the Lord our God be the one people see and recognize.

(P) Prayer
Lord, teach me to rely on you. Teach me not to be so quick to move forward or pursue a conflict. Help me to trust you with every detail of every situation. Let me live for you and in your protection today. Amen

No comments: