Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Life Journal 07-07-2009

Confidence With God

(S) Scripture
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV)

(O) Observation
We are to hold firm to our faith in Jesus, the high priest. Jesus is able to sympathize with us because he has been tempted in every way that we have been tempted and yet unlike us, he is without sin. Where we give in to temptation, he never did. Because of his work and our faith in him we are to come before God with confidence.

(A) Application
It is like the confidence I have when speaking to my mom. I know she wants what is best for me and will do whatever she can to bring that to pass. I do not have the same confidence speaking to someone else's parent because they may or may not want the best for me. My confidence is rooted in my relationship with God. I come as his child. As his child I have access that another may not have. This dispels the myth of the "fatherhood of God". God is the creator of all things but he is father to those who are his children by faith in his Son, Jesus. Because of my faith in Jesus I have confidence before God and can receive mercy and grace from God. That is where I want to live today, experiencing the mercy and grace of God.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I again profess my faith in Jesus as my Savior and Lord. I thank you for receiving me into your presence and listening to my prayers. I thank you for your mercy and grace, they always arrive just when I need them. Teach me to trust you more and more each day. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you tired of Christians who have a "plastic Jesus"? He's like Superman, wearing a protective coating that can't be harmed. Their Jesus never used the bathroom; he never had a hemmroid; he never faced a real life issue. When life got tough, he simply gook a divinity pill and dah dah...everything was all right. This passage obliterates such a view. While He was divine, he was also human! If Jesus wasn't totally human, I couldn't relate to him. Could you?
"Your Buddy"