Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Life Journal 05-05-2009

Cool Under Fire

(S) Scripture
No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.
Matthew 22:46 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The Pharisees and Sadducees tried their best to trip up Jesus. They peppered him with questions. Jesus knew their intent and yet never lost his cool or temper. But with stories and questions he quieted them. They were so frustrated that they knew not to ask any more questions because it only made them look more foolish.

(A) Application
I have always been impressed with how Jesus would answer a question with a question, how he would never fall into their verbal traps. So often I find myself speaking before I really think things through. I sometimes speak to defend God and His Word when nothing really needs to be said. I get sucked into no win arguments. I leave thinking how foolish I had been to engage in the argument. Today I want to learn this lesson and practice being cool under fire. I will continue to work on responding like Jesus did. He promises to give us words to speak when we need them and when He does not give the words I need to learn to shut up. Arguments tend to accomplish very little and so today I will not argue but will look to respond with the grace and power of Jesus.

(P) Prayer
Lord teach me when to speak and when to remain silent. Let me treat people the way you would. Help me to remain cool under fire. Amen

No comments: