Friday, May 22, 2009

Life Journal 05-22-2009

My Utter Sinfulness

(S) Scripture
What shall we conclude then? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin.
As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;
there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.
All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."
"Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit." "The poison of vipers is on their lips."
"Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness."
"Their feet are swift to shed blood;
ruin and misery mark their ways,
and the way of peace they do not know."
"There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Romans 3:9-18 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul is reminding his readers that no one is righteous in themselves. He builds that case against both Jews and Gentiles. In this passage he reminds us of our utter sinfulness. It is certainly a description of the world in which we live. As I read the verses over again I see a description of the moral condition of our country. "Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit." "The poison of vipers is on their lips." "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness." "Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know." "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

(A) Application
Worse though than seeing our nation is when you see yourself. I am reminded of Isaiah when he describes himself as a "man of unclean lips." Is my speech pleasing to God and profitable for the people I speak with. Am I really selfish to the point of ignoring the needs of others or only looking out for myself. This passage reminds me that I an utterly sinful in my nature and that apart from Jesus and the righteousness He brings to my life I am hopeless. Left to myself my life will reflect these verses in Romans 3. Thanks be to God that He has not left me to myself but has sent His Son to die for my sins and through faith in that death He gives me forgiveness and a new nature that is filled with His Holy Spirit that can accomplish through me all He has for me to do. Today I will again renew my commitment to following Jesus and to being filled with the Holy Spirit.

(P) Prayer
Father, I thank you for forgiving my sins through Jesus' death on the cross. Thank you for allowing me through faith to avoid the life described by Paul that is separated from you. Let me live for you today and use me to make a difference in people's lives today. Amen

No comments: