Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Life Journal 05-20-2009

From Beginning to End

(S) Scripture
For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
Romans 1:17 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul declares that the Gospel of Jesus Christ reveals a righteousness that comes from God. This righteousness comes from living by faith in Jesus. This living by faith is from first to last in everything.

(A) Application
Yesterday my friend, Tom Auvenshine, lost his short battle with cancer but received his victors crown in heaven. His cancer was discovered in January. Since that time he had a cancerous gall bladder removed, a ruptured appendix removed, a drainage tube inserted into his abdomen and a feeding line inserted in his chest (this became infected and had to be replaced on the opposite side of his chest). Through these surgeries, chemo and countless days in the hospital Tom taught us all how to live by showing us how to die. Tom was a man of faith and he lived it each day. As I read this passage today I thought of Tom. His death reminded me of my Dad's death. Tom was 59 my Dad was 58. Both were men who lived out their faith day by day and lives were impacted for the Christ. I thank God for sending men like Tom and my Dad into my life to enrich and deepen my faith. Today I want to live by faith so that I can impact others for the sake of the Gospel.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I thank you for the example Tom set and for allowing me to be his friend and pastor. Give your strength and a sense of your presence to Linda, Amanda and Tom and Adam as they grieve. Let us each learn how to better live for you. Amen

No comments: