Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life Journal 05-26-2009

A New Way To Live

(S) Scripture
For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death.
But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
Romans 7:5-6 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul is writing about the release that comes to our lives when we die to sin. We die to sin and the law has no more power over us when we receive Christ as Savior. The control the law has over us and the power our sin nature has are released when we become Christians. Our sin natures bring about death, separation from God, but our new natures in Christ bring about service energized by the Holy Spirit. Our focus is no longer on keeping the law but is on living by faith empowered by the Holy Spirit.

(A) Application
Even though my sinful nature died when I became a Christian it seems to come to life when I feed it. I know it can never separate me from the love of God but it does affect my fellowship and closeness to the Father. I am not to focus on the law – that energizes my sin nature. So often I talk with people who think the Christian life is simply keeping the Ten Commandments. Their focus is on the law and they wonder why they keep feeling defeated in their spiritual lives. Their focus is wrong. They are focused on what only energizes the sin nature. I must not live that way, I want a new way of living. I am to focus on being controlled by the Holy Spirit and living by faith. When I live that way my life reflects God's righteousness and there is no law against living that way. Today I will again trust the Holy Spirit to fill me and use me. I will focus on loving God and following Him.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I thank you for the reminder from Paul today that I am to focus on you and not on the law. I want to live free with you and by faith in you empowered by the Holy Spirit. Work your work in me today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some believe that the Christian can achieve a state where they permanently die to sin, thus never sinning again. They argue that when something/someone dies, it can not return to its former state. It is dead. It ceases to exist. I know what I believe, I'm curious, what about you?
"The Bud"
PS Watch out for those Nararene friends who believe this. I understand we have a few lurking around in the corridors of FBC. :)

Robin said...

I think 1 John 1 takes care of this. We we say we have no sin we are liars and the truth is not in us. I have friends who think that they do not need to confess because of this same belief. I do not see that in scripture. I must deal with my sin nature every day. I still practice "spiritual breathing" and "'fess 'em as I does 'em"