Friday, May 15, 2009

Life Journal 05-15-2009

To Reminisce

(S) Scripture
For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord.
How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?
1 Thessalonians 3:8-9 (NIV)

(O) Observation
As Paul is writing he begins to think about the believers in Thessalonica and his gratitude just overflows. He got a real kick out of their faith stance and could not thank God enough for the joy these believers gave him.

(A) Application
It is good to think back at times and to remember the people the Lord has brought into your life. As I think back I am reminded of many students (I was a campus minister for 8 years) and where they are today. Some are serving as pastors and on church staffs, others are doctors and lawyers and teachers and engineers and accountants and are using their professions as a witness to their faith in Jesus. My heart overflows with joy when I think of them. They are doing so much more than I am doing and it gives me great joy to know that I had a small part in their spiritual development. Then there are the adults and young people from the churches I have served. Again many are using their chosen careers as venues for sharing their faith. They are leaders in their professions and communities and I had a small part in their spiritual development. My joy is full. When I think of the friends the Lord has brought into my life I am filled with gratitude and joy. I am a better man, husband, father, pastor because of their investment in my life. It is good to reminisce when it draws you to the Father and fills you with joy.

(P) Prayer
Father, I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity I have had to invest my life in the lives of so many who remain strong in their faith and service to you. Thank you for allowing me these moments to reminisce but don't let me remain in the past because there are many more lives I need to invest in today so that their lives will be different in the days and years ahead. Amen

No comments: