Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life Journal 05-27-2009

An important Correction

(S) Scripture
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:1 (KJV)

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
Romans 8:1 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The conditional phrase at the end of verse one in included in the KJV but is not found in the best manuscript evidence and is therefore omitted in more recent translations. This changes the statement completely. It takes it from a conditional phrase to an imperative statement. That is really good news for followers of Jesus.

(A) Application
As a follower of Jesus I am not condemned in any way. My life is safe and secure in Christ. My security is not dependent on me but rather on God. My response to this is to love the Lord and follow Him. If I understand this I cannot use my freedom and security as a license to sin. I cannot ignore God's leading and direction and command of my life. Because I am not condemned I will live in gratitude and by faith in the One who saved me and set me free. This is such an important correction because it moves the Christian life away from legalism and to relationship. Today I will celebrate my relationship with God and thank Him for securing my relationship with Him.

(P) Prayer
Father thank you for saving me and securing my place with you. Help me to live today as your child in a way that honors you. Amen

No comments: