Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Life Journal 05-06-2009

A Constant Prayer

(S) Scripture
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Psalm 51:10-12 (NIV)

(O) Observation
David's secret sin has been revealed by Nathan. When confronted David outraged at the story Nathan tells and offers a severe judgment. Nathan then declares that David is the man in the story. David then repents and offers up the prayer found in this Psalm 51. It is a prayer of confession and repentance.

(A) Application
I find myself too often acting like David when he hears the story and passes judgment. Too often I am much tougher on other's sin that on my own. I want to be more compassionate in dealing with others but I most want to respond first with genuine repentance and honest confession. Rather than the last thing I want that to be the first. I want this prayer in Psalm 51:10-12 to be a constant prayer of my heart. "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."
Today I will seek to live out that prayer.

(P) Prayer
Lord you know me and my heart's desire. Let me live constantly by faith. Today, Lord, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm struck that the steadfast character in this text follows the creation of the new heart. Often, I hear preachers telling people to be disciplined, consistent and diligent in their walks with Christ while ignoring the fact that we can't legislate this kind of behavior. It flows naturally when the heart has been cleaned and we are open and vulnerabile before the living God. Without the "clean heart" we will continue to be inconsistent, struggling, and undisciplined Christians. Thanks for not preaching this way pastor. "Your Bud"

Robin Crouch said...

It amazes me at how many think we can live the Christian life by our own will power. Long ago I realized that the success of my walk with the Lord will come out of a heart committed to Him and not from my own strength. Thanks again for the reminder and the word of encouragement.