Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life Journal 05-31-2009

Real Strength

(S) Scripture
Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:32 (NIV)

(O) Observation
We often think of warriors and conquerors as people of strength but here the writer says that patience and a controlled temper are qualities of real strength.

(A) Application
In my younger days I found it easy to fly off the handle and launch a verbal barrage showing my impatience and wanting to coerce my way in things. I have not always been this nice peaceful man that I am today J (tongue firmly planted in my cheek). As I have sought to live out this proverb I have found that it is true. There is real strength in being patient and controlling your temper. That strength is recognized by others. I want to exhibit that strength in my life. I know that when I want patience God puts me in situations where I must choose to be patient. When I want to control my temper I find myself in circumstances where in the past I would lose my temper. Interesting to me is that I never really "lost" my temper it was always right there in front of me, just out of control. Today by God's grace I will demonstrate these qualities in my life and so live in a way that pleases God.

(P) Prayer
Father, You know how easy it is for me to abandon these qualities so let me experience your strength today to live as you would have me to live. Let me be patient and let my temper stay under control. Amen

No comments: